Monday, February 28, 2011

ZERO

Saturday the 26th I played a show on the West Bank in Minneapolis called ZERO. A new friend of mine who had heard me on this episode of Across The Board on KFAI asked if I'd join them for a night of warehouse debauchery and joy.

The theme was a throwback to the Smashing Pumpkins era rave scene. The laser light show on the first floor, where the dj's were spinning, was exactly like I remembered it was when I was going to raves in the mid 90's.

The bands were playing on the second floor so up I went to load in my gear.

The place looks abandoned but apparently it's a place for dance, art installation and... late night underground parties. The stairwells are barely lit and every room hangs with cigarette smoke. It took a little getting used to but everyone was so friendly it was hard to feel really out of place there. I got comfy and got some beer and enjoyed the night as the place slowly filled with jolly and anxious party-goers.

The first band was metal and they played a pretty bad ass song about Satan, that's the way to my heart! Next was Bouncer Fighter who played some dynamic, intelligent indie rock. By now it was nearing Midnight and the place was packed and I ran into some people I would have never expected. It was that kind of party, someone from everywhere.

I got my gear together and started my set. The crowd was dancing, drinking, frolicking and giving some great energy to the performance. I look up at the crowd and notice everyone I can see is dancing and when I address the crowd they all roar back. I started my Joy Division cover of Love Will Tear Us Apart Again and for the first time I had an entire crowd singing the chorus back at me at the top of their lungs. What a moment as a performer!

I'll post any pics of my set that I run across online, it's gonna be a few weeks before I've got a replacement camera for shows...

No comments:

Post a Comment